Dale Carlsen - Founder and CEO of Sleep Train
Dale Carlsen, a Sacramento native, founded Sleep Train in 1985, just one year after graduating from Sacramento State University.
He has since grown the mattress retailer from one store and a few employees to a multi-branded company with more than 280 stores and nearly 1,500 employees.
Today, Sleep Train is the West Coast’s number one mattress retailer and number four nationwide.
Industry Awards and Philanthropy Recognition
Dale Carlsen has also been recognized for his efforts in the community and role in the mattress retailing industry.
- "At Large" - Juvenile Justice Commission of San Diego, 2013
- "Honorary Doctorate in Humanities" - Sacramento State, 2013
- "Sacramentan of the Year" - 2012 Award Winner
- "Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year" - 2012 Award Winner
- "Distinguished Alumni Award" - Lambda Chi Alpha Fraternity, 2007
- "Businessman of the Year" - Sacramento Metro Chamber of Commerce, 2005
- "Business Hall of Fame Honoree" - Junior Achievement of Sacramento, 2005
- "Father of the Year" - Father's Day Council benefiting American Diabetes Association of Sacramento, 2005
- "Alumnus of the Year" - California State University, Sacramento's College of Business Administration, 2001
- "Volunteer of the Year" - Junior Achievement, 2000