Top 5 Ways to Celebrate National Foster Care Month This May
Sleep Train and California Foster Care Organizations Inspire Community to Get Involved
For Immediate Release
Download PDF Version
Sacramento – May 7, 2012 – May is National Foster Care Month and with nearly 60,000 foster children in California, and more than 30,000 California children entering foster care each year, Sleep Train and its 24 foster organization partners are sharing the Top 5 Ways to Celebrate National Foster Care Month:
- Wear a blue ribbon & spread the word – The Blue Ribbon Campaign is presented by the National Foster Parent Association to call attention to the urgent needs of youth in foster care. Share it in social or feature it on your personal and/or organizational websites.
- Donate to a foster child – Sleep Train hosts charity drives all year long to collect necessities for foster children. Donate today to the company’s Shoe Drive and find future drive information here.
- Mentor a foster child – Foster children are twice as likely to repeat a school grade. Research shows that youth with mentors earn higher grades and have improved relationships with friends and family.
- Volunteer with a local organization – California foster care organizations rely on volunteers for many of their programs. Find a list of California foster orgs with contact information here
- Host your own charity drive – Foster kids often enter foster care with only the clothes on their back. Help support local foster families by hosting your own collection drive for basic items like pajamas or coats at your office, home, or church.
In addition, California foster care organizations are celebrating with a number of honorary events:
- EMQ Families First is hosting a picnic for foster families on Saturday May 12th.
- Koinonia Foster Homes is recognizing foster parents they serve with thank you gifts.
- Youth and Family Programs is collecting thank you cards for foster parents and is hosting a morning greeters event through the Anderson Chamber of Commerce on May 9th.
- Napa Foster Parents Association and Lilliput Children’s Services is hosting a book signing and lecture with former foster child and author, Ashley Rhodes-Courter.
- Napa County Social Workers is hosting an all-county luncheon for foster parents.
- Valley of the Moon Children’s Foundation is hosting a foster family picnic on June 2nd.
- Foster a Dream celebrated their annual Dream Maker’s Breakfast fundraiser, May 3rd and is hosting a mentor training during the month of May.
- Sacramento Children’s Home hosted their signature event, Wine Women and Shoes, on May 5th and is spreading awareness through their social media channels through the month of May.
- San Diego County foster parents will be honored at an annual Foster Parent Recognition Banquet on May 18th.
- Promises2Kids is announcing its 50 Guardian Scholars scholastic scholarships this month and launched a Pennies for Prevention campaign to raise awareness about child abuse.
- Agape Villages Foster Family Agency is hosting a Foster Family Fun day and picnic at the park on June 9th where attendees can learn about its new Enrichment Programs.
- Sierra Forever Families is celebrating Mother’s and Father’s Day by collecting Expressive Gift donations in honor of foster parents with proceeds benefitting local foster children.
With your help, foster children can obtain critical life skills and important items that will make a big difference: school tutoring and funds for summer camp, basic everyday items like school supplies or a new pair of shoes, and those that make childhood so magical like gifts during the holidays.
National Foster Care Month reminds everyone that they can help foster children have a successful future. From Sleep Train, it’s the time to remember that while “not everyone can be a foster parent, anyone can help a foster child”.